Monday, February 10, 2014

Peace over troubled waters

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 NIV)

I think I am getting to a point where I understand this verse. While my life is a great blessing and I have received so much more than I deserve, I have witnessed trouble. I see and feel tension every day I walk this earth. I see tensions in education dealing with reform. I see political tension in our country. I see stress in ideological differences about abortion, gay marriages, gun rights, and finances. These topics and the everyday stresses of parenthood, marriage, work, health, and disasters make life nearly unbearable, at times. As a Christian I can fall into the same trap of gloom and dispair. But, Jesus has promised us peace through our lives. Through him we can more than survive our stesses, we can overcome them and be at peace. He provides that "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" that we sang about years ago. We don't need to fear the raging flood waters because Jesus provides us a path to peace.

Do not fear, God is with us. There is no greater peace than the love of Christ. Praise God he's in control of my life. He can remove our stress and anxiety today and everyday. We just have to relinquish control. We have to live and breathe the gospel in our lives. We need to make it the center of all we do. Life can not defeat us when we have the creator of the universe on our side. We can overcome with the precious blood of Jesus, sacrificed that we might live forever in peace. That means from today forward. You can't find that kind of complete peace anywhere else!

No comments: