Friday, May 6, 2016

Not just "now I lay me down to sleep"

“if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV. http://bible.com/111/2ch.7.14.niv

I think it is obvious, we should be in constant prayer for our nation. We are a nation divided. We are divided in so many ways, politically, ethically, and religiously. We will never see true unity as long as we, as a nation, continue to ignore God. For a dwindling Christian community it is easy to give up hope. We just can't give up. The more difficult the fight, the stronger our faith should be. Our efforts to share Christ should redouble when life gets tough, when things go against us. Satan uses our division as his greatest weapon. Prayer is our greatest weapon to fight the evil in this world. Healing occurs through prayer. Forgiveness occurs through prayer. Peace occurs through prayer. 

In our fast paced society, prayer is the first casualty. We are so rushed we just don't sit down to spend time with the Lord. We might be dedicated to going to church. We might be dedicated to living a life "the right way". That is just not enough. Parents might teach their kids, the cute prayers at dinner, they might even pray with their kids before bedtime (although this is more rare). Prayer is not just the recitation of the Lord's prayer. We can't save our world, the people heading to permanent death, without the power of prayer. We must devote ourselves to real prayer, not just "Now I lay me down to sleep..." prayer. We need real prayer, real conversation with God. We need to plead, pour out our hearts, laugh, cry, and just chat with the Lord. Why would we not take advantage of an open line of communication with the creator of the universe? We are missing out on the blessings, our communities are missing out, and our nation is missing out. Hope is through prayer!


Dear Lord, I ask your forgiveness for the missed opportunities to speak with you. I know you are there to listen and it is exclusively up to me to take advantage of your grace through prayer. Lord I love you and want to honor you with my life. Please Lord, come and save me, so I can save the world for your kingdom. Amen!


No comments: