Friday, April 29, 2016

When I Need to Escape

“He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.””  Mark 14:33-34 NIV.   http://bible.com/111/mrk.14.33-34.niv

I don't want to sound like I am flippant about this event where Jesus is praying in agony at Gethsemane. I have had one of those days, actually I have had one of those weeks. I can't imagine how Jesus felt knowing his pending death and torture. My week wasn't anywhere near THAT bad. But, today I am at a point of distress, deep distress, and sorrow. At times like this you just need to be alone. Today was such a day. So, what did I do? I went out and mowed the lawn, weeded, and cleaned my garage. It was very therapeutic. 

God knows all about distress. He is the only one with a perfect cure. He is the one we can go to when life just doesn't make sense. It is not always easy to do that when we are in the middle of crisis. Sometimes we just need to get away. For me, getting away is working outside, working in my garage, or the best way is just getting "Wind Therapy". When I escape to my garage or sit on my motorcycle, my mind clears and I can focus on the one who has the cure for life, Jesus. I praise God he comes to me when I need him the most.

Dear Lord, I praise you in times of joy and distress. I am blessed to have you as a counselor, and "therapist" when I need to deal with life. Today, I ask your special hand in my life, the lives of those I work with, my students, and my dear friends. I know when life doesn't make sense, you are the one to turn to. Thank You Lord. Help me to be the person others can go to when they do not know you. Help me to guide them to your love through the good times and bad. Amen!


No comments: