Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Real

11So Jesus came to Jerusalem and went into the Temple. After looking around carefully at everything, he left because it was late in the afternoon. Then he returned to Bethany with the twelve disciples. ............. 15When they arrived back in Jerusalem, Jesus entered the Temple and began to drive out the people buying and selling animals for sacrifices. He knocked over the tables of the money changers and the chairs of those selling doves, 16and he stopped everyone from using the Temple as a marketplace. 17He said to them,“The Scriptures declare, ‘My Temple will be called a house of prayer for all nations,’ but you have turned it into a den of thieves.” Mark 11:11, 15-17
I have always appreciated this story in my Bible. The thought that Jesus could get angry somehow really makes him more human to me. I know he was truly human and yet God. The God part of his life is so clear. It's not that I doubted he lived in human form, but I have always had a hard time grasping the fact he was just like me. This verse confirms his human life. If you look back at verse 11, it really looks like his tirade was planned. He visited the temple earlier and looked around very carefully without saying a thing. When he came back he just couldn't hold it in. After careful consideration, he felt it was necessary to "explode" on the people that had transformed his holy temple into a spiritual disaster. It's ok to get upset. It's ok to become indignant. As a matter of fact he did this at least one other time. He was indignant the disciples tried to keep the kids from him. He was angry about it and he let the disciples know it. 
Jesus is the core of my faith. The idea that God would come to earth to live as I do, then to suffer for no reason except to save me from my sins, is so powerful. His life here was real and really human. 

Dear Lord, I can't say thank you enough. Words are shallow and weak when I try to express my gratitude for the gift of Jesus. My wonderful life happens because Jesus came down to rescue me. I praise you for that sacrifice and I pledge always to serve you, share your wonderful message of love, and to serve in your name. Help me to serve today. Help me to represent you to my students and to love them unconditionally, just like you have done for me. Amen!

No comments: