Thursday, April 28, 2016

I'm not cool!

“As he taught, Jesus said, “Watch out for the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. They devour widows’ houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. These men will be punished most severely.””
Mark 12:38-40 NIV.   http://bible.com/111/mrk.12.38-40.niv

          I am just a regular guy. I'm nobody. I'm a school teacher, not rich, not powerful, not anything our world really respects. I am perfectly ok with that. I have seen power corrupt. I have seen riches speak loudly, and I am glad I have no influence beyond my small community of family and friends. Our world is obsessed with power, money, and things. I see it in it's beginnings. At school, kids are so worried about how they look and how they are perceived. They want themselves to be a part of the "cool" kids and those cool kids are usually the ones in charge. They have the power. That pressure to be in charge is sometimes overwhelming. It is no wonder many people reject the christian faith. Our faith is about service, not power. Our faith is about relying on the power of Jesus, not acquiring our own.

          Jesus had access to power. He chose to serve instead. He spoke of strength in weakness. He spoke of power in service. When we give up everything to Jesus, we gain everything in eternity. We gain eternal life. Christianity is about serving others above ourselves. Our faith is more than just stating a belief. It's taking those beliefs and putting them in action for others. That is where the real power is. That is more valuable than gold or the stuff of this earth.

Dear Lord, I love you so much and am MORE than satisfied with the humbleness of my existence. I am not  searching for power or riches. I know that you have provided for everything I need. I am honored to be your servant. I praise you and worship you! Amen!




No comments: