Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Watch what you say....... !

“The king of Israel replied to Jehoshaphat, “There is one more man who could consult the LORD for us, but I hate him. He never prophesies anything but trouble for me! His name is Micaiah son of Imlah.” Jehoshaphat replied, “That’s not the way a king should talk! Let’s hear what he has to say.””
1 Kings 22:8 NLT. http://bible.com/116/1ki.22.8.nlt

The words of our leaders are very important. Just like my words are also so important to those who look to me for leadership.

It is amazing how powerful words can be. You can build up or you can tear down with a few well chosen or poorly chosen sentences. I should know, I've been on both sides of that statement.  In our present "silly season" also known as the Presidential primary, we have a bunch of King Ahab's. They don't know the impact of their own words. They tear each other down in order to build themselves up. It's ugly. I want to vote for a leader that is sensitive to his/her words. They need to watch what they say. THAT DOES NOT MEAN I WANT THEM TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT. I really hate the term politically correct. I also don't think we need to shy away from telling the truth. 

Our words are so powerful and can destroy what people think about us. They also can keep people from seeing Jesus within us. We walk such a fine line when we are sharing Jesus with others. We just need to be careful! Sarcasm and poorly timed "jokes" can destroy our witness. Words in anger, words under stress, and words when we are tired can't be taken back. As Christians we are under particularly strong microscope and one of the ways we are judged is by our words. I can't handle that kind of scrutiny on my own. I need the power of Jesus. His words and the words of the Father can help guide me. I don't want to mess up.

Dear Lord, Help me to keep my mouth, my words, under control. I know the impact. I know the power I have and want to use the power for your purposes. I love you Lord. I am honored to be in your service and want nothing more than to share you to all I see every day.  Amen!

No comments: