Thursday, January 14, 2016

The next generation

“After that generation died, another generation grew up who did not acknowledge the LORD or remember the mighty things he had done for Israel.” Judges 2:10 NLT

Being a teacher I spend about a third of my day with the next generation. I am not nearly as worried about the future of our country because of these young people. If you watch the news it is so easy to look at the world as being doomed. There is so much evil and destruction, hate, and death. But I see hope! I spend my day with young people who deeply care about there fellow man and are equally passionate about making things better. They are activists wanting to take a stand and are not willing to let evil win.

We have to pass on our faith to the young people in our communities. With Church attendance on the decline we are not raising a new generation of Christians. We need to share our successes and our failures. We need to be authentic about our weaknesses and struggles so they are not doomed to repeat them. We do not want them to develop our apathy, our isolationism our self-centered attitudes, or our pessimism. We want to encourage creative solutions to all the big problems we face and we want to support all their efforts to destroy evil. The youth of this country should be a priority for all of us. We must not let the faith die!

Dear Lord, I praise you for the opportunity to serve the youth of my community. I pray that others will choose to do the same. I praise you for these young people and their passion for life. Yes, they make mistakes, like all of us do. I ask you to protect them and keep them safe. Help me to present your message every day so that message will be handed down to all the generations to come. Amen!

No comments: