Friday, January 29, 2016

I'm not listening!

“And the LORD came and called as before, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel replied, “Speak, your servant is listening.””   1 Samuel 3:10 NLT -- http://bible.com/116/1sa.3.10.nlt

Last night I was reading this story about Eli, Samuel, and Eli's sons. But, I was struck by the timeless practice of listening. We do not live in a culture that values listening. Contemplation and meditation are viewed as frivolous activities. We don't listen to each other and rarely do we listen to God. 

I am proud, for the most part, of my prayer life. But rarely do I sit and listen to the Lord. I get so busy and wrapped up with my communication that there is little or no silence in my life.  A key part of our worship to the Lord should be centered around listening. I am not good at just listening. When I try, I end up falling asleep or lose focus and my mind wanders. That is not listening.

God speaks to us. He speaks to me. We just have to listen. SO many problems, stresses and turmoil would be eliminated if we just listened to the powerful voice of God. WE / I need to stop and listen to his wonderful wisdom. 

Dear Lord, Forgive me for my arrogance thinking I can solve all my problems by asking and not listening. Lord, I say I need you but do not give you a chance to act. Then I blame you for the problems in my life. I am embarrassed by this fact. I come to you Lord knowing that weakness and begging you to change me, change my heart. I love you Lord. Amen!

No comments: