Thursday, January 28, 2016

I hope to continue to please!

“I hope I continue to please you, sir,” she replied. “You have comforted me by speaking so kindly to me, even though I am not one of your workers.”
Ruth 2:13 NLT -- http://bible.com/116/rut.2.13.nlt

Most days I am completely humbled by my students. I am blessed to work with an all star cast of teenagers. I love them dearly. If you didn't know, you would probably think I was blessed with the best and the brightest academic kids. I'm not. Oh, I do have some that are the best of the best. While I love them as well, I am most honored by the 25% of my students known as "at risk" students. Yes out of my 200+ students I have fifty that come into my world with the deck stacked against them. Some have been kicked out of other classes, some are "slow" academically, some are "resource" students and have had more than one conflict with other teachers. I have the deepest love for them. Why? 

I have no particular reason to love them except I am moved to be with them, build relationships with them, laugh with them, push them, and care for them like most adults have not done. I like to see them get even the tiniest spark to propel them into being life long learners. I like to see them see succeed when they haven't had that success in the past. I like to see hope come back to their lives. I can't save all of them, but I love trying.

Today, while working on a character activity, they were to choose someone that was a positive influence to hang out with. They chose me. I was humbled. I'm not all that great. 

I praise God everyday that I have the privilege to serve the students of GHS. My heart is of the Lord. With all the humility I can muster, I tell you it is not me, it's the Lord inside me. I could no more take credit for inventing the Internet than the power of Jesus acting inside of me. I am amazed that the lord would take this sinner and save others through me. I praise the Lord for giving me notice, through these kids, to stay the course. Praise the Lord!

No comments: