Saturday, January 23, 2016

Now, I am him.....

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,. Hebrews 12:1


15 years ago today, my earthly father wen to be with my Heavenly Father. 

I miss him.

I miss learning from his wisdom. I miss just spending time with him. 

But I have come to realize, I am now him. I am the Grandpa. I am the Dad of some wonderful adult kids. So even though my Dad is gone, with my Heavenly Father, he lives within me. I am him.

When we leave this earth we leave a legacy. Sure we impact our families like my Dad did. But we also impact the lives of everyone we meet. We need to take that seriously. My Dad did. He was so careful to share the love of Christ from the Pulpit but he was also careful to live a life that matched the words from his mouth. No one could criticize his love of God and his heart for people. He was the same man at home with my mom, with us kids, the grandkids, with his church members, and with the man on the street. What a wonderful example for me and my life. I am so thankful to have him as my example. Now I try to serve like he served. I try to love like he loved and the live like he lived. 


Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for sharing my Dad with me for nearly 40 years of my life. I do miss him now. But I do remember his wonderful example. I am blessed to have him as my mentor and I thank you, Lord, for honoring me with his love and friendship. I pray Lord that I can be that same example for my wife, my daughters, and my grandkids. I can't do it through my own power and strength. I can only do it through you. I love you and praise you for my life. I want nothing more than to serve you. Amen!

No comments: