Friday, November 15, 2013

The purpose of a light bulb!

In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16 NIV)

This is such a tricky concept. If you read it wrong it sounds like you are supposed to brag about your good deeds in front of others. You might also read it to say make sure you do your good deeds so others will see them. I don't see either of these interpretations as being accurate.

When I walk into a dark room I turn on the light to see. Why? 

I don't turn the light on so I can see the light bulb, I turn it on so I can see the room. 

A lightbulb's purpose is not to bring glory to itself. It's purpose is to shine on the glory of the room. In the same way I am not letting my own light shine to give glory to myself, but give Glory to the Father. I do not do the good deeds, serve others, or worship to put the spotlight to my own selfish pride. I do those things out of a desire to bring Glory to God. My motives have to be pure and clear.

Doing good deeds and glorifying God have to go together. I need to make sure I check my motives on a regular basis. Am I a member of CMA for my own glory or Gods. Do I teach for my own purposes or  for Gods? It is so easy to fall in to the trap of selfishness.

How do I keep from focusing on me? First, you need to stay in contact with God. Just one day a week isn't going to do it. Regular devotions when you rise and when you go to bed is a minimum. Prayer constantly, am/pm and many times in between are a must. Worship and fellowship with people who share your passion for God. All of these things together will help us focus our light on others, not focusing others on us. Praise God his power, grace, and mercy are given to me to help me serve in his way!

No comments: