Sunday, November 24, 2013

Holiday Walk

So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. (Galatians 5:16 NIV)

We are 4 days away from Thanksgiving. Many people can only think about Black Friday and Christmas. Christmas as a celebration of the birth of Jesus is a wonderul holiday. Christmas as a gift giving, shopping frenzy is depressing. The shopping days from Thanksgiving and Christmas  are filled with "desires of the flesh". It is a strong statement about where we're at as a society. It's a problem that is much deeper than just shopping and over indulging. The solution to the problem is right before your eyes. 

Walk by the Spirit!

We are traveling through life. We are walking and we could use a companion to make sure we travel the right direction and avoid the hazards of life. The Holy Spirit can keep us from concentrating on ourselves. We must connect with God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I need to connect continuously. I can't just do it on Sundays, just in my daily devotions, or just when I rise and when I sleep. I need to do it 24 hours a day. I fall far short of this and need to work at not ignoring the Spirit throughout my day. If I truly want to celebrate this holiday season 2013, I will work on my walk with the Spirit and ignore th desires to gratify myself!


No comments: