Tuesday, September 28, 2010

God 101

Hebrews 8 (The Message)

6-13This new plan I'm making with Israel isn't going to be written on paper, isn't going to be chiseled in stone; This time I'm writing out the plan in them, carving it on the lining of their hearts. I'll be their God, they'll be my people. They won't go to school to learn about me, or buy a book called God in Five Easy Lessons. They'll all get to know me firsthand, the little and the big, the small and the great. They'll get to know me by being kindly forgiven, with the slate of their sins forever wiped clean.

When I graduated from High School, I attended High Point College in High Point, NC. I had to take a religion class. I hated it. I never knew for sure, but I always thought my Professor was an Atheist.  If he wasn't he sure gave that impression. I didn't learn anything from this guy. All I learned was how narrow minded some people are. I grew up in the church. I learned about God from the first breath of my life. I'm still learning. I have attended Sunday School classes, Church Camp, Youth Groups, Confirmation, Adult Sunday School classes, countless Church services, and  bible studies. I have read many books, seen films, listened to sermons, and lived with a preacher as a Dad and a preacher Grandfather.  All of these were great learning experiences. But, the best learning experience I've ever had is just spending time with God. I'm not saying all of the things I listed weren't important, but getting to know God "firsthand" was truly the best. Think about trying to get to know your spouse by a book or attending a college class. Or what about your best friend? You get to know them best by spending time with them.

That's probably one of the biggest barriers that people face in growing as a Christian. Our relationship with God will take time. In our society, we "don't have enough time". But, you can't short cut the process. One of the greatest lessons you learn when spending time with God is FORGIVENESS. When you realize what you deserve and the amazing forgiveness you receive, you really take a big step in really learning about God! Spend time with God. Get to know him! Don't just rely on books or classes. Don't just listen to what others have to say about the creator of the universe. Get to know him firsthand. You will be amazed at what you learn.

Dear Lord, You are the great teacher. Your knowledge of us is endless. You know us better than we know ourselves. Teach us your ways. Guide us along the path of wisdom. Thank You for giving us access to you. Thank you for being a loving and personal God. I want to know you more. Teach Me! Amen!

No comments: