Thursday, September 16, 2010

Creepers!

Titus 1 (The Message)

 10-16   .....They say they know God, but their actions speak louder than their words. They're real creeps, disobedient good-for-nothings.


When my athletic department was working the Labor Day Auction in Auburn, I get to spend some time with our athletes.  They always teach me something new anytime I'm with them.  This year was no different. Thousands of people come to the auction and we get to see all of them.  Just like our society, they are a great mix of people.  Most of the people are gracious and thank us for what we do.  However, sometimes we run across some pretty strange people.  Our girl athletes told me these people were "Creepers". I think we used to actually call them Creeps! Now I guess they are known as "Creepers". Like I said I learn something new when I spend time with teenagers.  
In my definition, Creepers would be people who act like disobedient good-for-nothings. 


There is nothing I dislike more than people who profess to be followers of Christ but their actions speak louder than their words. It makes Christians look so bad when these people take the spotlight. It seems like these people always find ways to make the news and capture the headlines. I am not trying to imply that Christians need to be perfect. They can't be perfect. But, when we say we love people and then treat them just the opposite, we are "creepers".  Someone who would use his position as a pastor to create more of divide between Christians and Muslims, I would classify as a creeper. (Sorry for that editorial comment!) We (Christians) are being looked at closely every single day. If we even have the appearance of being hypocritical, we could keep someone from taking the step to turn their life to Christ. We can't be perfect, but we need to be aware of our actions and how they affect others. If we have any control over how we are perceived, we should do our best to make sure those perceptions are in line with Christ's teachings.  Our actions need to match our words. We need to be obedient and willing to do good for those we meet.  When we do good, we set the best example for nonbelievers. Service to others is the best way to witness.  Let our Actions speak loudly!


Dear Lord, Help us to serve others.  Help us to show our love and yours by our actions. Direct us in service. Help our actions to match your purposes. Help us to serve others as we would have others serve us.  May our actions speak louder than our words in only positive ways. Amen!



No comments: