Sunday, September 5, 2010

Back to basics!

Ok, I haven't backed up since I began writing this blog.  However, my wonderful Aunt Rachel (Gonzalez) pointed out a key point from my last blog that I want to also comment on. I don't think she would mind me reposting her comments:


I read today's blog and don't think Non-believing believers is a correct term. You either are or are't. There are no honest thiefs, truthful liars, siinning Christians. etc. We aren't to listen to them. They are like reeds blowing in the wind, clanging cymbals. Why give them the power? There is  too much of the love of God around us to have our energy taking up these people. Keep your eyes on Jesus.


She is awesome! Yes, I agree with her comments and wanted to make sure the comments were posted. My thoughts about Non-believing believers was simply people who have deceived themselves and think they are believers.  They truly are not believers.  You can't be "luke warm" (Revelations 3:14-16) in your faith. As I have mentioned before "The Message" does have some limitations and the comparison of these verses points to what I am saying. Here is a comparison of the NIV translation and the Message for these verses:

2 Thessalonians 3 (New International Version) 1Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you. 2And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil men, for not everyone has faith. 

 2 Thessalonians 3 (The Message)1-3One more thing, friends: Pray for us. Pray that the Master's Word will simply take off and race through the country to a ground-swell of response, just as it did among you. And pray that we'll be rescued from these scoundrels who are trying to do us in. I'm finding that not all "believers" are believers. 

Most of the translations I looked at agree with the NIV translation.  Eugene Peterson takes some liberties with his "version".  I have always thought of "The Message" as less of a translation and more of an interpretation.  I still love the colorful / natural language, but it does have it's shortfalls and this is an example.
I think you should always keep that in mind when you read this.  I would also recommend you keep other translations at your fingertips, just incase you  question something.

No comments: