Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Are you a leader?

1 Timothy 3 (The Message)

 1-7If anyone wants to provide leadership in the church, good! But there are preconditions: A leader must be well-thought-of, committed to his wife, cool and collected, accessible, and hospitable. He must know what he's talking about, not be overfond of wine, not pushy but gentle, not thin-skinned, not money-hungry. He must handle his own affairs well, attentive to his own children and having their respect. For if someone is unable to handle his own affairs, how can he take care of God's church? He must not be a new believer, lest the position go to his head and the Devil trip him up. Outsiders must think well of him, or else the Devil will figure out a way to lure him into his trap.

Churches have such a hard time finding good qualified leaders.  Our society is so busy and volunteering for leadership roles at church is not always a priority.  The same is true for finding qualified pastors for churches or qualified youth leaders, or qualified worship leaders. This is definitely true in small churches where they can't pay a lot of money and only offer part time employment. Largest churches have a similar problem.  They get a large number of candidates, but very few qualified candidates.(buildingchurchleaders.com) So many people want to skip the development of their skills as a leader and jump right to the "Big" church. Developing skills as a church leader doesn't mean developing some list of resume fodder.  What it means is developing the character traits listed in these verses.  We can all look at this list and use it as a guide to how we measure up.  None of us are perfect.  We all have weaknesses.  I think I have more than most. But, in order to develop as a leader I need to reduce those weaknesses.  I need to constantly evaluate my character and pray for the wisdom and discipline to change.
Maybe it should be tough to fit the mold of a real church leader.  Take a look at the list.  Do you fit the mold?  I don't.  Even if you don't meet all the requirements right now, could you?  I know I don't meet all the preconditions.  I want to. I know my weaknesses and I need to improve in those areas. 

Dear Lord, Help me look into my life and make the changes so I can be the leader you want me to be.  Help me to take my weakness and make them my strengths. Mold me into the shape you want me.  Thank you for your patience.  Thank You for your undeserved love. Amen!

No comments: