Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fingerpainting

Hebrews 6 (The Message)


 1-3So come on, let's leave the preschool fingerpainting exercises on Christ and get on with the grand work of art. Grow up in Christ. The basic foundational truths are in place: turning your back on "salvation by self-help" and turning in trust toward God; baptismal instructions; laying on of hands; resurrection of the dead; eternal judgment. God helping us, we'll stay true to all that. But there's so much more. Let's get on with it!

When are you going to grow up? Eventually you have to graduate and get out into the real world. Some people I know will never grow up. The best way to grow up is in Christ. Sometimes as a Christian we never get past the "New Christian" stage of our lives. We need to mature in our faith. Faith is like a work of art. My art is basic. No matter how hard I try, I CAN'T graduate from art school. My "Masterpiece" will always be stick figures or fingerpainting. I will never produce a Grand Work of Art. As a Christian I am also doomed to be stuck as a novice. I can't change or ad anything to the kingdom. I just don't have the skill. The difference is I know the Great Artist. He can teach me every stroke I need. He can take my unskilled hand and create a magnificent masterpiece. I can't do anything for the kingdom on my own. But, I can absolutely do all things through Christ. I can mature and I can ad to the kingdom. When I search for God and when I pursue his wisdom for my life, he guides me along that path. When I trust him he will make my life an amazing piece of Grand Art. Sure I might start out using crayons. But when i rely on Christ I will grow. I can't guarantee how fast, but I will grow. I will mature at the pace he wants. His judgement is perfect. All I have to do is grab the paintbrush and extend my hand. God will grab my hand and he will do the rest of the work. Just extend your hand! Trust him to do a great work in you! Then stand back and be amazed!

Lord you are amazing. I can see the works of your hand all around me. I can see it in nature and in my life. Please Lord take my hand and help me produce a masterpiece for you. Take me from immaturity to maturity in you. I can't do it on my own. But, I can do all things through you. Amen!

No comments: