Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Afraid to die?

Hebrews 2 (The Message)

 14-15Since the children are made of flesh and blood, it's logical that the Savior took on flesh and blood in order to rescue them by his death. By embracing death, taking it into himself, he destroyed the Devil's hold on death and freed all who cower through life, scared to death of death.16-18It's obvious, of course, that he didn't go to all this trouble for angels. It was for people like us, children of Abraham.

I ride a 1999 Harley Davidson Road King motorcycle. It was a police bike and I had it repainted and have tinkered with it as a great hobby. I love motorcycles. I love riding them. I love working on them. I love touring on motorcycle. I love just about anything to do with motorcycles. I think I'm obsessed. My mom doesn't like me riding a motorcycle. My brother Tom was in a motorcycle accident many, many years ago. During the riding season, you hear so much about motorcycle accidents. Many times these accidents end in the death of the rider. Most motorcycle accidents are the fault of the rider. Most of the time the accidents are due to excessive speed for the conditions. That could be misjudging the speed of a turn, or riding out of control.  The next cause for motorcycle accidents is not being seen by "cagers". When I ride, I really pay attention. I am always trying to predict what other drivers are going to do and try to find a way to escape if things go wrong. But, there are so many things that are out of my control.

My mom doesn't like to hear me say it, but God will choose the time and the place of my death. It may very well be in a motorcycle accident. I try to protect myself. I wear a helmet. I have proper boots and wear proper clothing. But, I can't prevent all possibilities.

People say motorcycle riders are crazy. They say we have a death wish. Well, I don't consider myself crazy.  I certainly am not looking to die. But, I am ready. I'm not willing to "Cower through Life".  I'm not scared to death of death. I live life as I think God would have me live. I'm not perfect. I make mistakes. But, I know one thing for sure. When I die, I will be in paradise. Christ paved the way for me and he paved the way for you to not fear death. We are to live life and live it abundantly. God has blessed me so much and I think he has blessed me with a love of motorcycles. Jesus Christ conquered death and promised those who follow him, life eternal. He promised that we would  conquer death. What's scary about that?

Dear Lord, Thank you for the gift of your son. Thank you that he died for us that he might pave the way for us to conquer death and to live life eternally with him. Lord we know that you love us. We know that you are in control of our life. As followers of you, we also know that you are in control of our life on earth. We trust you and know that you will choose the time of our death here on earth. We look forward to eternity with you. We do not fear death! Amen!

No comments: