Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm not Deaf! Really!

Hebrews 3 (The Message)

 12-14 .....These words keep ringing in our ears: Today, please listen; don't turn a deaf ear as in the bitter uprising. 15-19For who were the people who turned a deaf ear? Weren't they the very ones Moses led out of Egypt? And who was God provoked with for forty years? Wasn't it those who turned a deaf ear and ended up corpses in the wilderness? And when he swore that they'd never get where they were going, wasn't he talking to the ones who turned a deaf ear? They never got there because they never listened, never believed.


I haven't had a hearing test for over a year. But, I remember the last one proved I was not deaf. I am often accused of being deaf.  My wife and daughters are sure I am. I do like to have the TV turned up loud so I can enjoy the vibration of my surround sound speakers. I have also been accused of having "selective listening skills". This is harder to disprove. I can admit that I don't always pay attention to what's going on around me. I also have to admit that when Stephanie and the girls get talking I don't ALWAYS pay attention to what's being said. I would like to say I'm just being polite by not eaves dropping in a conversation I'm not included. However, It also seems that these "selective listening" episodes always coincide with me watching a ball game or some other program I AM interested in. That might affect my ability to listen!  When you raised 3 girls and sit in the same room with these grown-up women, my head spins. Therefore my ears seem to shut down for safety reasons!

How many times do we turn a deaf ear to God? Many times we have "selective listening" when it comes to God. We love to hear from God when he is blessing us. We love to hear about God's love for us.  We want to hear about God's plan........unless it doesn't match our own plans.  We love to pray for guidance.........unless we don't get the answer we want. We want to pray for God's will, but he shouldn't ask us to step out in faith or be uncomfortable. Should he? It is truly amazing how stubborn we are and how I think I know more than God. My attitude and my sinfulness get in the way of my ears and heart listening to the voice of God.

We really aren't much different than the Israelites. God delivered them fom Pharoah, he opened the Red Sea, he fed them mana, he provided water out of a rock. He delivered them over and over again. Yet, they still chose to worship and build idols. They did not listen to God. Their weakness and their lack of faith is a mirror of our own weakness and lack of faith. We say we trust God. Do we? Do we only trust him when it is convenient for us? We don't listen. We turn a deaf ear to the creator of the universe. Yet, he still loves us. Don't just talk to God....................Listen for his powerful voice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Lord, forgive us for our unbelief. Forgive us for turning a deaf ear to you and your perfect wisdom. Open our hearts to your plan for our lives. Help us to embrace that plan and to live our lives for you. Help us to truly listen to you. Amen.

No comments: