Friday, September 24, 2010

Baby Food!

Hebrews 5 (The Message)

 11-14I have a lot more to say about this, but it is hard to get it across to you since you've picked up this bad habit of not listening. By this time you ought to be teachers yourselves, yet here I find you need someone to sit down with you and go over the basics on God again, starting from square one—baby's milk, when you should have been on solid food long ago! Milk is for beginners, inexperienced in God's ways; solid food is for the mature, who have some practice in telling right from wrong.

Baby food can be gross. It's been awhile since I have tasted Baby Food. My favorite was Apples and Bananas.  How do I know? When your a Dad or Grandpa feeding a baby, the best way to convince the baby to eat is by example! (You know I'm right!) SO, you take a bite, then feed the baby. You take a bite, then feed the baby. Of course, you never used this theory when you were feeding the baby peas and carrots! I think feeding a baby strained carrots or any other smashed and obliterated vegetable ought to be outlawed. Babies can't talk, but they can communicate. Not too many babies express extreme interest in veggies. No wonder we all grow up hating vegetables.  Although, sometimes gross, feeding baby food to a child with no teeth is practical. They certainly can't eat a real carrot or chew up a piece of meat. 

When we are new at being a christian, we need to be cautious what we "eat". We need to spend all of our time in the basics. We need to be totally committed to learning who God is. We need to read the bible, memorize scripture, and pray without ceasing. When we have the basics embedded in our heart, God will lead us to bigger and better things. We have to start with baby food before we can eat T-bone steak.  We never really get to know the basics enough that we can stop learning them. We always have to stay connected with them. So while we eventually are able to study deeper and get involved with more and more evangelism, we still need to stay grounded in the basics. Before we travel to preach in some 3rd world country, we need to have matured in our faith. We are just like babies, we can't handle it all right away.

Sometimes I am impatient about what God is doing with me. I need to realize that God knows what he's doing. He has a plan. Part of that plan is to prepare me. Part of that plan is to get me to mature as a christian before he stretches me. He knows the right time and the right place. He's the parent and knows exactly what to feed me. Sometimes I need Baby food. Eventually I will get the real deal!


Thank You Lord for being patient with me. Thank You for taking me from strained carrots to a full course meal. You are wisdom. Yo are love. You know what is perfect for me and have a divine plan for my life. Thanks for that plan. In your great and holy name I pray. Amen!

No comments: