Friday, September 10, 2010

Be patient with me, I'm Old!

1 Timothy 5 (The Message)

 1-2Don't be harsh or impatient with an older man. Talk to him as you would your own father, and to the younger men as your brothers. Reverently honor an older woman as you would your mother, and the younger women as sisters.

These verses are for my daughters! Now that I'm 50, I think I can classify myself as an older man. I want to key on one phrase. "Don't be harsh or impatient with an older man." Please take it easy on me, I'm old! You know I love you and I can't ever think of a time you've been impatient with me and certainly you have never been harsh with me. 

They say the older you get the more likely the role of parent and child gets reversed.  My daughters always tease that they want Stephanie to outlive me, because they don't think they could take care of me or put up with me like she does. I have to admit.  I am treated pretty well by my wife. Frankly, I don't know what I would do with out her. 

There are so many families that have to take care of their older parents. I don't want to be mean, but I hope I don't become a burden to my kids. Like taking care of a handicapped child, taking care of an older invalid parent can be such a drain on a family.  I see families that have to deal with parents who have Alzheimer's, dementia, or any number of diseases or illnesses.  Not only is it a drain physically and mentally, but it can be a drain financially as well. When my Dad had his stroke it definitely took it's toll on my mom, but it also took it's toll on the family. It wasn't easy but we saw past the changes the stroke had with his body and mind. We needed to be more patient and more loving.

God built us the way we are.  He designed us to AGE and sometimes not so gracefully. Even though taking care of an older adult can be burdensome, it can also be great example of christian service.  Helping out in a nursing home or taking care of your older parents in  a loving and Christ like manor is like Jesus washing the feet of his disciples.  It's not a service with great rewards and can be humbling. God provides these opportunities for us to serve to teach us the real meaning of love.  I know I have a great family that loves God.  I know they will take care of me when i can no longer do it on my own.  Just in case I'm not able to thank you then, I want to thank you now.  I want you to know how much I really love you! Thanks for loving me! Thanks for being patient and loving with me!

Dear Lord, I love growing old because I know I am one day closer to being with home with you. Yet, I know that as I age I can be a burden to my family.  Please Lord give them the strength and the wisdom to make the correct decisions for me.  Help them to develop a servants heart not just for me, but for everyone they meet. Amen!

No comments: