Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Pray!

1 Timothy 2 (The Message)


 1-3The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to live......... 8-10Since prayer is at the bottom of all this, what I want mostly is for men to pray—not shaking angry fists at enemies but raising holy hands to God.

I love prayer. I can't imagine a day going by without speaking several times a day to my creator.  I remember starting off as a kid praying those standard prayers at dinner and bedtime.  "Now I lay be down to sleep......", "God is grateful God is good.  Let us thank him for our food....." .  As I grew up,  I prayed the prayers of desperation. "Dearly Lord if you will help me get out of this mess I will...........". I have asked for every conceivable material item you could think of. I have prayed for jobs, raises, and every selfish request on this earth. I have prayed for my family continuously.  I have prayed for guidance at work and wisdom (which I am always lacking!) My prayer life has changed and really grown over the years.  I am not a perfect example of a prayer warrior, but I am growing every day.  I have come a long way from my standard selfish prayer to today.  i still have my selfish streak, but I find myself more and more focusing on others.  I don't just include those close to me.  I get prayer requests from my CMA family, from church, from facebook, and many other places.  Most of these people I don't even know.  But as Paul said "Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know." I pray for every politician I know, not just the ones I agree with.  I pray especially for those I don't agree with.  i pray a lot for the pastors of our community and the churches they serve.  i pray that they will be effective reaching the people of Garrett.  I pray for the staff at our school.  My bosses and the coaches I work with. i still pray for wisdom but not as much for material gain, but that I might be used for Christ.

I again don't want anyone to  think I am better than I am.  I am certainly a sinner saved by grace.  No matter what the purpose, I love to spend time in prayer with my savior and my friend.  He speaks to me and I listen for that perfect voice.

Dear Lord, Thank you so much for listening to me.  I love spending time with you.  I can't imagine being able to speak to the God of the universe.  But it is more amazing that you speak to me.  Lead me, guide me, direct my life for your purposes. Amen!

No comments: