Thursday, September 23, 2010

No Rest for the Weary!

Hebrews 4 (The Message)

 1-3For as long, then, as that promise of resting in him pulls us on to God's goal for us, we need to be careful that we're not disqualified. We received the same promises as those people in the wilderness, but the promises didn't do them a bit of good because they didn't receive the promises with faith. If we believe, though, we'll experience that state of resting. But not if we don't have faith. Remember that God said,

   Exasperated, I vowed,
      "They'll never get where they're going,
      never be able to sit down and rest."

Question of the Day! -- How many of you are tired? It seems like I never get enough rest and really, I don't know anyone who says they do. We take vacations. We have weekends off of work. We get 2 hour delays for Fog! We enjoy all sorts of leisure activities. Yet, we very rarely rest. I have, just about, given up on rest. We are on such a merry-go-round of life. Maybe it's more like a roller coaster! It's like a roller coaster that never, ever stops. Even if I want to get off, I can't. I have a choice. Either to stay on the crazy, wild, fast, roller coaster or jump off.  Neither option is that great. But, in Christ we have good news. We may not know how to get off this roller coaster and get rest, but we do know that their is an end. The end is promised with faith. We can look forward to that perfect "sit-down and rest" with God. God's goal for us is to enjoy that perfect rest for all eternity. We have to accept that gift. If we don't choose to follow Christ, we will be exasperated. We will never know where we're going. We will never be able to sit down and rest.  Just think about it. Think about never getting to sit down and rest. Think about spending all of eternity never being able to rest. If that doesn't get you to make the right choice nothing ever will. We may not be able to get rest while we are here on this earth. But, my lord and my savior is preparing a place for me. That place will be a place of perfect rest! Wow, I can't wait! Until then, I better go to bed and get the rest I can!

No comments: