Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Real Deal!

2 Corinthians 11 (The Message)

 7-12I was careful never to be a burden to you, and I never will be, you can count on it. With Christ as my witness, it's a point of honor with me, and I'm not going to keep it quiet just to protect you from what the neighbors will think. It's not that I don't love you; God knows I do. I'm just trying to keep things open and honest between us.
 12-15And I'm not changing my position on this. I'd die before taking your money. I'm giving nobody grounds for lumping me in with those money-grubbing "preachers," vaunting themselves as something special. They're a sorry bunch—pseudo-apostles, lying preachers, crooked workers—posing as Christ's agents but sham to the core. And no wonder! Satan does it all the time, dressing up as a beautiful angel of light. So it shouldn't surprise us when his servants masquerade as servants of God. But they're not getting by with anything. They'll pay for it in the end.


My Dad was a Methodist Pastor.  He did not go into ministry full time until my senior year in high school.  He started out as a Gideon, accepted two churches on a part time basis before he turned to full time ministry. He moved around as Pastors do in the Methodist Church.  I was always so proud how honorable he was and how he had an impeccable reputation.  It's not always easy being a full time preacher.  We used to tease Dad about only having to work on Sunday, but we knew the truth.  Pastors rarely work a simple 9-5 day or a 40 hour week. They rarely take long vacations or have full days off. Besides the after-hour meetings, constant bombardment of phone calls from "the flock", funerals, weddings, hospital visits, counseling, managing the church personnel, church finances and writing an occasional sermon, it can be grueling. Through all of that, I never one time, heard my Dad complain or turn someone down.  He was so honorable.  The pseudo-preachers, lying preachers, crooked pastors, immoral pastors, always grab the headlines.  But, the Real Pastors, the ones who work the long weeks and are concerned about honor and keeping things open and honest, just go about their schedule serving in quiet and effective ways. He was not perfect, none of them are.  But, he was careful never to be a burden to the church. He served with honesty and integrity, even when the message had to be "tough love". He was humble and made sure people knew he was nothing special, just a simple servant.  Most REAL pastors are like that.  God sent these wonderful servants to share his message. Don't get discouraged when you hear about pastors who masquerade as God's servants. Don't lose faith when you witness first hand the type of pastor Paul was describing. They are only a small minority and will always get their just rewards in the end. If you look closely at your Pastor, more than likely you will see he is the real deal!

Lord, Thank you so much for the servants you send to Preach the Gospel.  We praise you that your spirit guides their lives.  Please protect them and their families from harm.  Bless them abundantly,  help them to focus on you and not be distracted by the things of this world.  Give them rest, renew their spirit daily, and provide them with your wisdom to lead.  In your great and powerful name, Amen.

No comments: