Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Astonishing Extravagance!

 Corinthians 9 (The Message)

"8-11God can pour on the blessings in astonishing ways so that you're ready for anything and everything, more than just ready to do what needs to be done. As one psalmist puts it, 

   He throws caution to the winds, 
      giving to the needy in reckless abandon. 
   His right-living, right-giving ways 
      never run out, never wear out.
This most generous God who gives seed to the farmer that becomes bread for your meals is more than extravagant with you. He gives you something you can then give away, which grows into full-formed lives, robust in God, wealthy in every way, so that you can be generous in every way, producing with us great praise to God."


Has God blessed you in extravagant, astonishing ways? Have you been granted an abundance of things.  If I think about this truthfully, I can surely say I have been astonishingly blessed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not wealthy.  I don't know of too many educators who consider themselves extravagantly wealthy.  But, I do have a "ton" of stuff. 2 cars, a motorcycle, 4 televisions, riding lawnmower, a nicely furnished 3 bedroom home. and a clothes wardrobe that is set-up for all occasions.  I have also been blessed in many other non-material ways.  I have a fantastic wife of 32 years, 3 daughters who love the Lord and have great lives. I have 4 grandkids who think I am awesome. (Please don't tell them the truth!) I have always had jobs of significance and responsibility. I have had wonderful friends and have been blessed with wonderful church homes. 


Why has God blessed me in such an astonishing and extravagant way? God has granted me blessings, both in material things and in other ways, for a very specific reason.  I certainly have not done anything to DESERVE these blessings. I can point to countless reasons why I don't deserve these blessings.  Yet, none-the-less, I have been blessed. 


God has blessed me so I will be ready at a moments notice to do for others, not just what needs to be done, but to do MORE than what needs to be done. It's not enough for me to just pay my tithe.  It is not enough to make donations to the poor, have a servant heart for my church, or help my neighbors.  I have been blessed so I will go beyond just covering for the needs of the people I encounter.  I need to look beyond their needs physically.  What does their heart need?  What Love can I show them?


Next, the blessing I have gotten aren't for me.  They are to be given away. The Love God has granted me, should be the love I give to others.  I truly own nothing.  I was given what I have so I can give it to someone else. "Pay it forward." If God asked me to give away my most prized possession (Harley!) for his glory would I?


Lastly, I have been given these astonishing and extravagant blessings to PRAISE GOD! I must acknowledge that I deserve none of these blessings and that through the Grace of My Lord and Savior, I have been blessed above and beyond what I could dream of. He deserves the praise, he deserves the glory, not me.


Well, please don't ask me how I've been using my blessings.  I am embarassed with the answer. What about you?


Please Lord, forgive me for "hoarding" the blessings you have provided.  Help to change my heart.  Help me to view the blessings you have granted as an opportunity to serve you! Help me to give with reckless abandon, with caution to the winds. Help me to never forget that I deserve nothing and have gained it all through your perfect grace.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Amen!

No comments: