Thursday, August 19, 2010

Whistle While You Work!

Ephesians 6 (The Message)

 5-8Servants, respectfully obey your earthly masters but always with an eye to obeying the real master, Christ. Don't just do what you have to do to get by, but work heartily, as Christ's servants doing what God wants you to do. And work with a smile on your face, always keeping in mind that no matter who happens to be giving the orders, you're really serving God. 

Ok, this is not fair! It is so popular in our society to complain about work.  We love to sit and complain about what our boss is doing or not doing.  Just like a radio talk show, we criticize and analyze our supervisors and superiors like it is a past time.  Can you believe this verse actually says "work with a smile on your face."  I am sure this is a miss-print. God can't truly expect us to do this.  Can he?  Work Heartily? are you kidding me? It kind of gives me the feeling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. HiHo! HiHo! It's off to work we go! Some days I feel like I could strangle the little dwarfs for even suggesting the thought of being happy at work! (Today!)

Just like everyone else I love to whine and complain about all the stress I'm under at work.  I have 6 million things to do in a very short period of time each day.  I moan and groan about all the added responsibility and duties and very few additional rewards. Yada! Yada! Yada! I'm supposed to Smile about this?  Ok, let me see if I can do this :)

In reality I love my job. (I have said that before and it is true!) I want to do a good job.  I put myself under the stress. No one else is responsible for that except me.  I am the one who deals terribly with the stress I place on myself.  I am the one who scowls when the pepsi cooler breaks at 3pm on game day, or if it feels like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. God cares about my work.  He cares about me getting all the things done for  tomorrow's varsity football game and he cares about me attending a volleyball game.  He is with me every moment of every day and he wants me to use those moments for him (including the time I spend at work!).  He wants me to do my job the best I can and with Christ in mind. I need to set an example, I need to smile more especially when things aren't going well.  I need to work Heartily, accept things as they are and ,regardless of the obstacles, serve God through my work! I need to ask not what my school can do for me, but what can I do for my school! (Sounds a little cliche', HUH!)

Dear Lord, forgive me for my whining, complaining and the criticism of my Earthly bosses.  Help me to be an example, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, even smile at work! Amen!

No comments: