Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tough Talk!

Ephesians 5 (The Message)

 6-7Don't let yourselves get taken in by religious smooth talk. God gets furious with people who are full of religious sales talk but want nothing to do with him. Don't even hang around people like that.

Wow! This is some pretty tough talk.  What I like about the Bible -- it does not pull punches.  It is equally tough on Christians and Non-christians.  Just when I start thinking a little highly of myself, I read something like this and I start to shrink back to size.  Christians always make it all seem so easy and life is anything but easy as a christian.  If someone tells you that you need to devote your life to Christ and your life will be perfect, are giving you a BIG SALES JOB!  Ok, not too many people will tell you your life will be perfect, but even if they don't say it directly, they certainly leave you with that impression. How can you tell if you are getting a SNOW JOB?  Well, it's not always obvious!  As a matter of fact, if you don't work at building a relationship with God, it can be nearly impossible to tell the Smooth talking religious sales person from an honest God fearing Christian.  By building a relationship I mean by praying, reading the bible, hearing the word of God preached, and confiding in trustworthy Christian friends.  God talks to us through all of these ways.  The more you seek him, the better you are at discerning the truth and gaining wisdom. Also, if someone tells you they have that perfect life, or even if they lead you to believe it, they are lying.  God wants us to hear the truth and gets upset when we are deceived, especially by Wolves in Sheep's clothing.  Trust God alone!

Dear Lord, grant me discernment.  Help me to gain your wisdom in everything I do.  I know that life is not always perfect. But, I also know you are with me no matter what comes my way.  You want me to rely on you in the good and the bad.  Please Lord, give me the strength to Trust you and you alone! Amen.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I wonder why they call it "God-fearing"??? God is not something that I associate with fear..... I have always found that term interesting. Just wondered what your take on it was.

Unknown said...

Again, I am not an expert. But in my readings and thoughts I would say fear is an extremely strong respect for God. Fear is the knowledge that if God wanted to he could destroy us. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."(Proverbs 1:7) People who do not believe in God don't have that knowledge or wisdom. They aren't aware of Gods power, strength and control over our lives. They can't fear God because they don't know him like we do. So in order to be a "God Fearing" Christian, you have to have a knowledge of who God really is. We can't ever completely know God, but we can start to know him if we understand and respect (fear) his power and strength.

If you think about it. God has a power that we can not fathom. Just the thought of creating the universe, the stars, galaxies, planets, our own solar system, etc., is heard to get our thoughts around. To think that God is in control of everything and with one thought, with the power of his almighty hand he has control of our destiny. If you couple that with the truth that we fall way short of what God expects of us and that all of us have sinned against God, I have a real fear that God COULD give me what I deserve. Just the idea that he could destroy us at a whim, is enough to generate fear in my heart.

The great news is Grace. That is the only thing that saves us from complete destruction. Gods grace saves us! It helps us to realize that God Loves us so much that he will not only save us but he gives us eternal life. Not because we earned it, but because we asked him. Grace is the great answer to the fear of the Lord!