Sunday, August 15, 2010

Canada is a Foreign Country!

Ephesians 2 (The Message)

19-22 This kingdom of faith is now your home country. You're no longer strangers or outsiders. You belong here, with as much right to the name Christian as anyone. God is building a home. He's using us all—irrespective of how we got here—in what he is building. He used the apostles and prophets for the foundation. Now he's using you, fitting you in brick by brick, stone by stone, with Christ Jesus as the cornerstone that holds all the parts together. We see it taking shape day after day—a holy temple built by God, all of us built into it, a temple in which God is quite at home.

Stephanie and I took a long trip this summer and part of it was through Canada.  We traveled across Manitoba and through Ontario, Thunder Bay, north Lake Superior and then home.  When we crossed into Canada, I experienced a feeling I hadn't expected. I really, for the first time, felt like a foreigner.  We were in Canada for over a week.  The thought of being an outsider was very strange.  Don't get me wrong.  The people were just like us.  Some were friendly, some were not. Some made us feel at home and others made us feel like we were trespassers.  I am sure they get the same feeling when they come to "The States", as they call us. It's not easy traveling in Canada.  First it's the hassle of getting a passport, crossing the border feeling like a terrorist or criminal, then it's the different currency, then its the different measuring system, and finally the different or lack of cell phone service.  For all 8 days, I just felt uncomfortable, to say the least.


Have you ever seen a non-christian surrounded by a bunch of christians. Talk about feeling like an outsider.  I have been a christian my hole life, or most of it.  But I can certainly see how going to church for the first time, especially for a non-christian would be extremely intimidating.  The idea of not knowing what to do, where to go, not knowing all the right things to say and do.  What would you think about seeing or taking part in communion for the first time.  I love church, but really it is not for the non-christian. That is why Jesus told us to GO and make disciples of all nations.  They certainly aren't going to come to us.  BUT, once they do become believers, the barriers need to come down instantly.  Many times they don't.  God has a plan for all who believe in  him. Once we make that commitment, we all become special people. If we don't know the right words, that's ok.  If we don't understand all the symbols and "rituals" it's ok. If we don't wear the right clothes, have the right job, have enough money, or the best education, it's ok.  We are all the same in his eyes.  We're no longer in a foreign country, we're home.  Not only are we at home, we become a critical part of the  home.  We each have  an equally important part.  The only one who has a special, unique purpose, is Christ himself. Irrespective of how we got their, God will use us.  Irrespective of where we are now, God will use us!  We don't have to worry about a passport anymore.  We become full citizens with all the rights and privileges of a lifelong citizen. Praise God!


Thank You Lord for inviting me to be a part of your kingdom.  Thank you for treating me like I am the only one that matters.  I hope and pray I can bring others to the family.  I hope and pray that I can add more bricks to your house. I know I can't do it under my own power or my own will.  I can only do it through you, the master builder.  Amen!

No comments: