Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Talkin' with Dad!

Galatians 4 (The Message)


 4-7 You can tell for sure that you are now fully adopted as his own children because God sent the Spirit of his Son into our lives crying out, "Papa! Father!" Doesn't that privilege of intimate conversation with God make it plain that you are not a slave, but a child? And if you are a child, you're also an heir, with complete access to the inheritance.

What name did you call your Dad?  Did you use Pops, Dad, Daddy, Papa, Pa, father? If you're like me that may have changed depending on your age, your relationship, or even what it was you were talking about to your Dad.  It seems very strange to me that I can talk to the Creator of the Universe as I would my Dad.  I know some people who had terrible relationships with their Dad's.  I don't understand this.  My Dad was awesome.  He chose to go into the ministry very late in life.  He heard the calling and answered the call with yes.  The older my Dad got the wiser he got.  Well, ok, maybe he was always wise.  It may have been that I wasn't old enough to recognize it.  I could talk with my Dad about anything and the older I got the more I realized how valuable his counsel was. My fondest memory is when we lived in the same town in Elkhart, Indiana.He and my brother would share breakfast at Cracker Barrell on a regular basis. We had such great conversations. We talked about everything. I miss those long lost days. I really miss him.

Similarly, when I was young my thoughts about talking to God were from formal prayers like the Lords Prayer, "Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name...." It never occurred to me when I was young that I could have an intimate relationship with God.   I just looked at him like I saw my own father, as an adolescent.  He was a disciplinarian who gave me a list of rules I had to follow. If I didn't obey, he punished me. As I grow older in my walk with God, I can see that he is so much more. Paul is telling us that we can have a relationship with the Creator of the universe that is not based on a slave vs master relationship.  We can have a relationship with God that is like our earthly father.  We can tell him anything.  We can share our full  range of emotions.  We can seek his counsel like I loved the counsel of my own father. The next time you pray to God, think about your attitude.  Try to picture sitting with your father at Cracker Barrell, sharing a breakfast, talking about everything from the Yankees to the latest movie, to politics, to the struggles your having. Open up! Wait for the response. I think you'll be amazed at how clearly he joins the conversation.

Hey Dad! Sometimes I just don't get why it is you love me the way you do?  Why do you put up with all my mistakes and poor judgment?  I really value your opinion and want to know if you could help me change. Help me to be a better person when I'm tired, when I'm stressed, and when I deal with people who make me mad.  Can you teach me how to be accepting like you? Dad, I want to be just like you. Amen!

No comments: