Saturday, August 7, 2010

Ace the Test!

2 Corinthians 13 (The Message)

 5-9Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don't drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it.

School starts this week for GHS. It won't be long and the students will be studying for the BIG test.  They will take Pop quizzes, chapter tests, Unit Exams, Final Exams, and the ultimate Graduation Exams. I always had to spend tons of time studying. There was nothing natural about my academic ability.  My wife Stephanie, however, never had to open a book. She was and is naturally smart.  When she sold her books back in college, the pages had never seen the light of day. I had to do all sorts of tricks to memorize and learn the material. So, when I read this verse, it brought back some memories of long nights of serious studying.

One thing that struck me about this verse is the first two words.  Test yourselves. I certainly am not a biblical scholar.  I even did a little checking.  I couldn't find anywhere else in the Bible where we are instructed to "Test Yourselves". I apologize if there is and I missed it.  I found numerous places where God has tested us and He tests us everyday.  Since the very beginning of time we have been tested by God.  Sometimes we passed, most of the time we fail.

I think most students would love the idea of testing themselves.  The problem with testing ourselves, how do we know if we're passing or failing.  When I was in college, I always bought the optional solution manual. (I was a mathematics major.) I would legitimately do the problems and then check the solution manual.  If I didn't do it right, I would go back, do another problem and continue to do this until I got it right.  Sometimes, this process took forever.  I also joined numerous study groups.  I always looked for the smartest groups.  Sometimes they were better than the solution manual. I also found that if I could try to tutor someone else. It always seemed like it helped me more than it helped them. Since I was an adult when I went to college, I was never afraid to go straight to the professor, outside of class, to get direct help. There is nothing like going straight to the experts!

My Christian life is no different.  I have several copies of the solution manual. I have to study it daily and have for years.  I still struggle with the material! I'm not sure I will ever figure it out. I still attend those study groups.  Most people call them CHURCHES! Besides the study groups,  I also have to meet with the Ultimate professor at least once, but more than likely, several times a day. I figure if he created the universe, he is the only qualified expert when I don't understand the homework assignment.  I also try to do my own version of tutoring.  Although I feel very inadequate trying to teach others, selfishly it helps me more than it helps them. Just like in college, I really consider myself to be a slow learner. I have to study like crazy. I have to test my heart, my attitudes, and my motives every minute of every day. I also found out that at the top of the class is Jesus. He is the only one who ever aced the test. I certainly need him as my study partner. I can't ever imagine passing the test, yet my Professor knows my heart. He knows  everything about me.  He runs his class different than any professor I ever had.  His educational philosophy is centered around Grace.  He is looking for commitment, and honesty, openness and effort.  He knows I am doomed to failure, but he loves me just the same. He always gives me an undeserved A+. I could live in his class forever!

Dear "Great Teacher", Thank you for being patient with me even when I just don't get it.  Thank you for developing a class  that is designed just for me.  Test me and help me continue to test myself. Help me to improve and to be able to follow your plan for my life! Amen!

No comments: