Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Intellectual Hogwash!

Colossians 2 (The Message)

 8-10Watch out for people who try to dazzle you with big words and intellectual double-talk. They want to drag you off into endless arguments that never amount to anything. They spread their ideas through the empty traditions of human beings and the empty superstitions of spirit beings. But that's not the way of Christ. Everything of God gets expressed in him, so you can see and hear him clearly. You don't need a telescope, a microscope, or a horoscope to realize the fullness of Christ, and the emptiness of the universe without him. When you come to him, that fullness comes together for you, too. His power extends over everything.

Do you know anyone who has a genius IQ?  I'm not sure I know anyone who is registered as a genius.  It's not something you usually ask someone. I know some people who think they are geniuses.  When I was going to college their was a student in a lot of my classes who was a Math Major, like me.  He wanted to be a high school Math teacher, like me.  We had a lot of classes together.  This guy was brilliant. He would start rattling off all sorts of postulates and theorems in class.  He could make the most simple of concepts, a complicated mess. He would make me dizzy with some of the words he used.  I was studying Math because I really loved it and had fun solving problems and I wanted to teach kids.  I love being around students. This guy was in it for reasons I have yet to figure out.  We both did our student teaching at the same time.  He knew Mathematics like I never could. But, he didn't survive student teaching. I did.  His problem was simple.  He knew the material, but he could care less about the students. I can imagine him spouting all sorts of intellectual double talk with  a Pre-Algebra class. I am sure it would have been entertaining, but not for the students.  I also know people who "know the Bible" in ways I could never imagine.  These intellectual religious types have analyzed scripture from a telescope and a microscope.  But they are missing one thing. They are missing the power and fullness of Christ. They know the message, but they don't know the Creator.  They know the words, but they do not realize or feel their impact. They are missing the personal relationship with the creator of all things.  They can dissect the scriptures, but don't know how it personally has impacted their hearts.  They live to learn all the details, but don't have a heart to share the simple message with everyone they know.

I don't study scriptures to gain intellect. I study scriptures to try to learn about my creator.  I study scripture to receive guidance.  I study scripture because I love to hear God speak to my heart through them. I may not know the ancient texts, or the greek detail.  I do know how they touch my heart. I know how they convict me to continue to pursue God. I know how they reveal his plan for my life. I know how they stir my heart in such a way I can't hold it in! When I can't hold it in any more, I just have to share it!

Dear Lord, Thank you for speaking to me so I can understand your beautiful and clear message.  Thank you for wanting to speak to me.  Thank you for your word and it's impact in my life. I am not a spiritual giant, but I know you, the creator who can hold the universe in the palm of his hand. Praise God for your Love of us! Amen!

No comments: