Sunday, August 29, 2010

"My Fellow Americans......."

1 Thessalonians 2 (The Message)


 3-5..... Be assured that when we speak to you we're not after crowd approval—only God approval. Since we've been put through that battery of tests, you're guaranteed that both we and the Message are free of error, mixed motives, or hidden agendas. We never used words to butter you up. No one knows that better than you. And God knows we never used words as a smoke screen to take advantage of you. 6-8Even though we had some standing as Christ's apostles, we never threw our weight around or tried to come across as important, with you or anyone else. We weren't aloof with you. We took you just as you were. We were never patronizing, never condescending, but we cared for you the way a mother cares for her children. We loved you dearly. Not content to just pass on the Message, we wanted to give you our hearts. And we did.

The Apostle Paul would never make it in politics.  He wasn't after crowd approval. He made sure his message was truthful and free of errors. He didn't have mixed motives or hidden agendas. He didn't use flowery words. He never tried to throw is weight around. He wasn't aloof or patronizing, or condescending.  He was a loving and caring individual.

It doesn't matter if your democrat or republican, conservative or liberal, or any other political persuasion, I think most people would agree our system of politics has it's flaws.  If politicians would just follow this small passage from God's word we would be so much better off. I might be naive, but I really think politicians start out with noble goals and honorable convictions.  Somehow along the way they change.  They say power corrupts. I certainly think we can see that is true with our politicians.  Look at how many of them fall from power in less than noble ways. Our society is very complex socially and economically.  I think it is so obvious that no one side, no individual ideology is correct 100% of the time.  I wish politicians could just admit when something doesn't work.  They have all sorts of ideas.  When one of them doesn't work like they thought I wish they could just admit it.  Can you believe the President (either now, past, or future) calling a press conference and saying. "Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen, I just want to start off by saying I'm sorry.  Last year we tried to stimulate the economy and well, frankly what we tried didn't work.  I just want you to know we won't give up and we are willing to try something else and to continue to do that until we find out what works.  I will be in contact with the other party and we will try some of their ideas, since ours didn't work. Please accept my humble apology. I will continue to work for you and do what ever possible to help this country , even if it means I have to swallow my pride."
 I am not pulling punches against the Democrats who happen to be in charge right now.  I am just as critical of the republicans who seem bent on just trying to destroy the credibility of the democrats.  They haven't been to humble either.  They haven't helped to solve our problems, just divide us. Wasn't their a saying "United we stand, divided we fall!" What ever happened to really getting together and COMPROMISING?  Can't we swallow our pride long enough to try to work together regardless who gets the credit or the blame. Can't we just elect people who have the same convictions Paul did?  I want to see leaders who don't speak through a smoke screen, that don't have hidden messages, that care more abotu people than getting re-elected. Re-read the passage.  Wouldn't that be a great platform for a politician!  I would vote for them with no second thought regardless of their party!

No comments: