Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Flippant about Prayer!

Colossians 1 (The Message)

 9-12Be assured that from the first day we heard of you, we haven't stopped praying for you, asking God to give you wise minds and spirits attuned to his will, and so acquire a thorough understanding of the ways in which God works. We pray that you'll live well for the Master, making him proud of you as you work hard in his orchard. As you learn more and more how God works, you will learn how to do your work. We pray that you'll have the strength to stick it out over the long haul—not the grim strength of gritting your teeth but the glory-strength God gives. It is strength that endures the unendurable and spills over into joy, thanking the Father who makes us strong enough to take part in everything bright and beautiful that he has for us.


Let me say I am not being critical of anyone when I make my comments.  As a matter of fact, most of my critical comments are directed at the mirror!

How many times have I said, "I'm praying for you." and not prayed for  someone.  I am so embarrassed to admit, it's too many times.  A few years ago our church did a series on prayer.  I was so convicted about having such flippant attitude about prayer.  I remember a comment from that series.  Many times we christians use the  saying (I'm praying for you.) like we use "Hello" or "How ya doin'".  So, I have really worked hard to change.  I am not where I want to be in my prayer life, but I am moving toward the goal and have gotten to the point I really enjoy and take very seriously my prayer time.  When I look back at my prayer journals,  I noticed one significant positive change.  Even once I began getting more serious about praying, I focused on ME!  As I started making REAL prayer more a part of my regular life,  I got tired of praying for myself.  It began to feel so shallow to go to the Lord every day about me and my problems. I started to become more aware of those around me that needed prayer.

Look at these verses in Colossians.  Notice how the emphasis is not on Paul, it's not on his ministry or the struggles he was facing, it was very specific and certainly centered on someone else! I am not the center of the universe. This shouldn't be news to you.  But, I hate to burst your bubble -- You aren't the center of the universe either.  I want to pray more like Paul.  When i have been able to focus on others in my prayers,  I am amazed at the answers and how quickly and clearly they are.

Dear Lord, Please forgive me for being so self-centered in my prayer life.  I need your strength and your power to stay committed to serving others. Fill me with your Holy Spirit!  Convict me when I do not follow through on my promises to pray for others. Help me to be aware of the needs of others and get to know them personally so i will know exactly what to pray for.  Remind me that my whole purpose is to serve others in your name.  Amen!

No comments: