Thursday, August 12, 2010

I'm Pumped!

Galatians 5 (The Message)

 22-23But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.

I made a comment today on Facebook that I love the excitement and anticipation of another school year. Today was our first day back at GHS.  We had a great assembly to welcome the students back.  I'm not sure many people would admit it (teacher or student), but I think we really miss it when we are apart during the summer.  I love talking to the students and reconnecting with them.  You have very few, if any, discipline problems on the first day.  It's too bad it can't stay that way. I might be crazy, but I sense an exuberance about life from everyone. It doesn't always last.  Don't get me wrong this was an exhausting day and I will look forward to my head hitting the pillow.  I don't adjust to the activity like I used to.  But in the midst of a terrible economy, layoffs, unemployment, the breakdown of the family, and a dangerous world, it is nice to have some place that provides consistency, routine, and a hint of hope. To me, school is like that. I see students every day that I feel will never make it in life because of all the barriers they face. But our theme for the year is to "Rise Above". The largest majority of our students bring me cause for hope. I can't wait to see what these students will accomplish this year. I can't wait to see how they can make a difference in the future of our planet. I can't wait to see them rise above their circumstances and make a difference. It's exciting to be a part of developing the future hope of society.

I think IF I was living God's way more, I could sustain this exuberance past the first day of school.  I could consistently feel the serenity that all is right in my life.  I could develop more endurance during rough times and a better attitude towards others.  I could see "the basic holiness that permeates things and people."  How often do I look at the good in people instead of the bad? If I was more committed to  God's way of living I wouldn't get as exhausted, because I would do a better job managing my time and resources.  I would be content in my situation.  I would constantly act to serve others. I could reap the full blessings God has promised!

Being around the future generation brings me hope. Spending time with my Creator brings a hope that is eternal!

Dear Lord,  Thank you for the hope that is eternal.  Fill me with your spirit.  Give me the desire to do your will so I can have a hope that lasts and a peace that surpasses all understanding. Amen!

No comments: