Monday, August 2, 2010

Do what you can and not what you can't!

2 Corinthians 8

 10-12"So here's what I think: The best thing you can do right now is to finish what you started last year and not let those good intentions grow stale. Your heart's been in the right place all along. You've got what it takes to finish it up, so go to it. Once the commitment is clear, you do what you can, not what you can't."

My anniversary is just a few days away. On August 5, 1978 Stephanie (Oliver) and I were married. As with all weddings, you always enter in to that commitment with great enthusiasm, anticipation, and good intentions about what the future might hold.  Marriage is such an adventure. We moved to Kernersville, NC; then to an apartment in Fort Wayne, Indiana (the apartment complex is nearly condemned) to New Haven, IN; to Michigan City, IN; to Auburn, IN; back to Fort Wayne; to Virginia Beach, VA; to Carmel, NY; to Goshen, IN; to Elkhart, IN; to LaOtto, IN; to Garrett, IN; to Fort Wayne, IN; to Garrett, IN; to Berne, IN;to Geneva, IN; and finally back to Garrett, IN. How amazing is that?  With 17 moves, 3 daughters, a Foster son, a half-a-dozen dogs, a few cats and major career changes, I think it's fair to say our life has been amazing and never stale. I can't imagine being without my fantastic wife and wonderful family.  What God has brought together let know one separate.

Stephanie and I got married very young. We became engaged my senior year of high school and got married the summer after I graduated.  I can tell you most people were very skeptical.  They figured our commitment wouldn't last.  Most young marriages don't last.  Now that I think about it, most marriages don't last. I wish I could give you some fantastic words of wisdom how to stay married and enjoy it for 32 years. I can't.  But these words of Paul, though very simple, provide better advice than I could ever give.  Keep your hearts in the right place, with God first and then with each other. Once you've made the commitment, Do what you can and not what you can't!  Don't concentrate on how difficult things are. Stephanie has had plenty of opportunity to dwell on my weaknesses, what I can't do, or what I don't do.  But instead she has always been supportive of what I can do, my strengths. She never has been a nagger. 
Our relationship never goes stale, I can truly say we enjoy being with each other now just as much as the first day.  We never entered into this relationship thinking we couldn't do, we just did it!  I think we'll just keep doing what we can and not worry about what we can't do!  Finish it!

Happy Anniversary Steph!

Dear Lord, Thank You so much for sending Stephanie into my life.  My life has been so blessed with the adventures you have sent us on. Send your spirit to remind us that we have what it takes to finish this, until death do us part. Help us to achieve the wonderful plans you have for us, together, with you in the center of it all! Amen!

No comments: