Friday, October 18, 2013

Worry Wart!

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:34 NIV)

Worry Wart

That is such a strange term. Have you ever wondered where it came from. according to the "Word Detective" (word-detective.com) -- 

” The earliest use of the phrase in print found so far is from 1956, although an earlier form, “worryguts,” had been popular in Britain since the 1930s. But “worry wart” became a household standard when it was used as the name of a recurrent character in “Out Our Way,” a popular newspaper comic strip drawn by James R. Williams from 1922 to 1957. Oddly enough, Williams’ “Worry Wart” was a young boy who caused worry in others, rather than being plagued by worry himself."

Why does this verse show up so many times in my bible studies? It seems like God is trying to tell me something. 

I don't think I'm unique when it comes to the topic of worry. I hear it from most of the people I deal with on a daily basis. You would think followers of Christ would set the example of worry free living. We are not, unfortunately, different. I think I lose just as much sleep as my non-Christian friends. Me of little faith! 

God does not have to prove himself to me. I wish I lived that way. I can look back at even the most difficult times of my life and see everything turned out well. God has shown me throughout my life he has my best interest in mind. Most of the time I am so blinded by my shortsightedness, I don't know what's best for me. I'm glad God is not offended by my worried heart. He loves me and it may sorrow him, but he doesn't hold a grudge about my lack of faith. Praise God he loves me and calms my worried mind. He  comforts me and helps me rest. Thank you Lord!

No comments: