Monday, October 7, 2013

I'm slow!

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:8, 9 NIV)

I love running. My family has developed into a running family. My daughters run. Both my wife and I have Coached Track andCross Country. I now have two granddaughters that run. I have started running again for fun. I am teaching a "Couch to 5k" for some of my kids at school. So I decided torun with them. I'm a lot slower than I used to be. I don't care. I am running to encourage the slow ones. For anyone who has started running and train for a 5k race, you know it is not easy. You need constant encouragement. That's my job.

God's sense of timing is like mine. He has slowed everything down to encourage us. If he didn't care for us, he would just race to the finish. He is waiting until we all have the chance to come to him. He is controlling time in a way that is best for us. He wants all of us to finish the race right beside him. He will run alongside us. When we start dropping off, he will give us the strength to continue. If we stumble or fall, he will pick us up. As we struggle up a hill, against the wind, or in a storm, he is there for us.

Life is just like running a race. It doesn't matter how fast we go. We just need to finish and run the good race. We need to keep moving forward. We need to rely on God to help us and urge us on the course of life. Praise God! He is the best coach I could ever have.

No comments: