Monday, February 28, 2011

"Where are you God?"

Psalm 42 (New International Version, ©2010)

 1 As the deer pants for streams of water,
   so my soul pants for you, my God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
   When can I go and meet with God?
3 My tears have been my food
   day and night,
while people say to me all day long,
   “Where is your God?”
4 These things I remember
   as I pour out my soul:
how I used to go to the house of God
   under the protection of the Mighty One[d]
with shouts of joy and praise
   among the festive throng.
 5 Why, my soul, are you downcast?
   Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
   for I will yet praise him,
   my Savior and my God.

I got a couple of prayer requests last week from a couple in our church. Their son was hit by a car while he was snow blowing his driveway. He stepped out into the road, was hit by a car, and was unconscious for awhile. He was then transported to the Hospital. The Dad was contacted, he got into a car accident, and his car was totaled. Talk about bad days. Fortunately both the dad and the son were ok. But, I can't imagine not thinking, "Where are you God?"  Worse yet, is when this happens to a Christian and the non-christian asks the same question.

That's why it's so important how Christians react when bad things happen. People outside the faith are looking. They want to see where and IF God shows up. It doesn't mean we can't cry. It doesn't mean we have to enjoy our own pain. But, we need to show that God will help us overcome. Even when we are chased by the "Hunter" we need to "pant" after God. We need to run to God and accept his grace, love and power to overcome. We can never lose hope. If we do, the unsaved will also give up.

It may not be easy to say and sometimes harder to live, but it is true in my past, it's true now, and will always be true:

"Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and God!"

No comments: