Saturday, February 5, 2011

In your Face!

Psalm 23 (New International Version, ©2010)

 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
 3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
   for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
   through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
   for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.
 5 You prepare a table before me 
   in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
   my cup overflows. 

With all the fighting and war in this world, it is hard to think of our troops sitting down for a feast while Al-Qui'da looks on. This would be like our troops in Afghanistan sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner in the middle of the battlefield. It's not going to happen because we would not have enough confidence we could defend them. Do you have confidence that God could defend you while you were sitting down to a feast in the presence of your enemies?  You should.

We're not just talking about any feast. We're talking about a feast where YOU are the honored guest. How do you think your enemies would react if they had to sit and watch you get honored at a feast? It's probably as much "in your face" as you can get. Most of your enemies couldn't contain themselves. They would have to attack, even if they were greatly outnumbered. But, if they had to do this in the presence of the creator of the universe, I am sure they would show more restraint. They wouldn't be allowed to touch a hair on your head.

Our God loves us so much, cares for so much that our enemies don't stand a chance. The more we are tormented, the more we are rejected, the more we are isolated, by our enemies, the more honor, blessings, and grace we receive. The love of our God is strange to our enemies. It is a mystery to those who do not know him, but we know and we praise him for that love. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

No comments: