Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A life of Peace!

Psalm 23:1,2 (New International Version, ©2010)

 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
 
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, 


Right now it's hard to imagine anything green or quiet waters. With all the snow, wind, and freezing rain we've had for the last couple of days, I almost forget what green grass looks like. The only quiet water I've seen the last month is frozen. But, let's use our imagination and look forward to spring when the grass truly does live and turns a beautiful green.

If you really think about Psalm 23:2, it's quite a statement. I have always looked at this verse as the vision of tranquility. We have a beautiful, quiet pasture and gentle waters nearby. The scene is calming and relaxing. But, there is more to it. If you look at it from the perspective of a sheep it's a little odd. Sheep are not smart animals. Most of the time they think of one thing, eating. So if a shepherd can get his sheep to lie down in green pastures, he's accomplished something. I'm pretty sure the sheep will eat that beautiful green grass if they aren't already completely satisfied.

With the Lord as our Shepherd, we need to put our complete trust in him. We need to realize that he will provide us all that we need. When we get to the point where we can trust that, we can relax and rest. We can enjoy peace even in the midst of an out of control, crazy life. We need to get to the place where we can be satisfied with the life God has given us, before we can experience the tranquility of God's presence.

Dear Lord, Help me to be able to relax and enjoy your presence. Help Me to relax, lie down in green pastures, and enjoy my life. Thank You Lord for your love, grace, and patience. Amen!

No comments: