Monday, February 21, 2011

Stumbling is Painful, not Funny!

Psalm 35 (New International Version, ©2010)

10 My whole being will exclaim, 

   “Who is like you, LORD?
You rescue the poor from those too strong for them,
   the poor and needy from those who rob them.”
 11 Ruthless witnesses come forward;
   they question me on things I know nothing about.
12 They repay me evil for good
   and leave me like one bereaved.
13 Yet when they were ill, I put on sackcloth
   and humbled myself with fasting.
When my prayers returned to me unanswered,
 14 I went about mourning
   as though for my friend or brother.
I bowed my head in grief
   as though weeping for my mother.
15 But when I stumbled, they gathered in glee;
   assailants gathered against me without my knowledge.
   They slandered me without ceasing.
16 Like the ungodly they maliciously mocked;[b]
   they gnashed their teeth at me.

I think all of us have laughed at someone who has fallen only to realize they were really  hurt and we had to change our tune. Some people watch NASCAR for the amazing wrecks, but when they witness someone die or get seriously injured, they have to think twice. I enjoy a good physical hard hitting game of football, but too often someone really gets hurt.

How do we react when people are hurt spiritually or mentally? How do we treat our own Christian Brothers and Sisters when they stumble and fall. Maybe someone has mistreated you when you were stumbling spiritually or mentally. These verses paint a grim picture of how ruthless we can be as sinful people. Be careful, you could be next.

Dear Lord, keep us from evil. Protect us from those who mistreat us. Help us to be loving to all. Help us to contribute to healing lives not hurting them. Treat others as we wish to be treated. Open our eyes so we can help those who need it the most. Amen!

No comments: