Friday, February 4, 2011

Walk don't Run!

Psalm 23 (New International Version, ©2010)

4 Even though I walk
   through the darkest valley,
[a]
I will fear no evil,
   for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.



This passage of scripture has comforted more people over the years. It has been quoted (along with the rest of Psalm 23) at countless funerals. God has provided this scripture, through David, for the purpose of comfort.

If I were writing this scripture, I might have changed it to this: "Even while I am running through the darkest valley, I will be afraid of everything until I remember you are with me." I can't imagine WALKING through a valley of darkness. Just visualize walking through a cemetery all alone at night. Could you walk? Not me!

I wish my faith was stronger. I wish I could confidently "Walk" through trials in my life. But, I am more likely to run like a wild man from my trials. That's where the rod and the staff come into play. A shepherds rod and staff served two purposes. One was for defense, but the other purpose was for "discipline". Believe it or not, sheep don't always go where they are supposed to. (neither do we) Sometimes they need some more aggressive guidance. How true that is about me? Yes, even that is comforting. Once I have committed my life to the Lord and lean on him for direction, he will do it. Sometimes that rod and staff hurt. But, they are necessary. Our Shepherd will take whatever means necessary to keep us on the right path and he will do whatever he can to protect us from evil. He does it so we can walk through life with confidence, even through the toughest of trials and tribulations.

God is with us. He loves us. He is our comfort. He carries a powerful rod and staff, but he loves us like no one else can. Amen to that! 

No comments: