Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Comfort is OK!

Psalm 30 (New International Version, ©2010)


 8 To you, LORD, I called;
   to the Lord I cried for mercy: 
9 “What is gained if I am silenced,
   if I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
   Will it proclaim your faithfulness? 
10 Hear, LORD, and be merciful to me;
   LORD, be my help.”

 11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
   you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, 
12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.
   LORD my God, I will praise you forever.

Today was "Shorts Day" at school. We are having spirit days to celebrate our girls basketball team going to Regionals and one of our wrestlers going to the State Finals. I just love wearing shorts to work, even when the February temperatures are below freezing. I am so comfortable wearing shorts. It just affects my whole day. It is not very professional looking so I don't get to wear them very often. When school is out in the summer time and I come in, I get to be comfortable and wear shorts. The next best option is jeans. The faculty and staff have "Jeans Days" on Fridays. That is also a great day of comfort. It just seems like such a relaxing day and school atmosphere when we can dress in comfort.

I have times in my life when I am so relaxed and comfortable. I have times when things are going well and there is no crisis. These times don't happen often but they are very welcome and do happen regularly. I think these times are gifts from God.  It is just like removing your "sackcloth" and being clothed in joy. Sackcloth was not like a burlap sack as I vision. It was really an article of clothing made of coarse goat hair and it was uncomfortable. It usually was worn as a symbol of mourning and/or penitence. David is praising God for taking away his mourning, for taking away his discomfort and replacing it with joy.

We hear so much about how God is present through troubled times and how our faith grows during trials. It's true. But, I also think God can use great times to help us feel his presence and to just relax and enjoy the life he gives.

Dear Lord, Thank you so much for Joy in my life. Thank You for providing times of comfort, relaxation, and peace. You are an awesome God! Amen!

No comments: