Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Terror on Every side!

Psalm 31 (New International Version, ©2010)

11 Because of all my enemies,
   I am the utter contempt of my neighbors
and an object of dread to my closest friends—
   those who see me on the street flee from me. 
12 I am forgotten as though I were dead;
   I have become like broken pottery. 
13 For I hear many whispering,
   “Terror on every side!”
They conspire against me
   and plot to take my life.



I have great neighbors. We always seem to watch out for each other. If someone is gone, the other will make sure they keep an eye on things. They are people I can count on. That's why these verses are kind of strange. I can't think of hating my neighbors so much that I had to avoid them or that I dreaded being around my closest friends. I have never felt that when people see me, they flee! (Maybe they do and I just don't recognize it!)

But you can surely get the feeling from these verses of a person who is an island. They are a person who is isolated from the rest of the world and have nowhere to turn. There are times in our lives that we feel utterly alone and that we have no friends. Even our best friends avoid us. Our enemies surround us and we feel like we are invisible to the people we live with. So many people feel like broken pottery, useless and completely unrepairable.

For those who feel like that, or who have lived that way. There is hope. Hope comes from none other than the creator of the universe. God Loves you and wants you to know you are never isolated, you are never alone with him. He is there for you and will always be that way regardless how the people around you act. Thank you Lord, I Love you!



No comments: