Thursday, February 10, 2011

No mistakes!

Psalm 25 (New International Version, ©2010)

 1 In you, LORD my God,
   I put my trust.
 2 I trust in you;
   do not let me be put to shame, 
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
3 No one who hopes in you
   will ever be put to shame,
but shame will come on those
   who are treacherous without cause.

The life of an Athletic Director is all about making sure no mistakes are made. I am absolutely paranoid about making mistakes. I have checklists for nearly everything. My memory it terrible. Before every basketball game I go over a checklist of about 40 items from all the workers, to ordering Chick Filet sandwiches. I rely heavily on my wonderful secretary to keep me from messing up. We are a great team. She bails me out so many times.

 I never relax for an event until the workers, teams and officials arrive.

About 4 years ago, I had a track starter not show up. I tried to call him earlier that week and even earlier the day of the meet. No answer. The meet was scheduled to start at 5pm. At 4:45, no starter. I went into panic mode. The IHSAA says you can't start a meet without a licensed starter. I started calling every starter in northern Indiana. I finally got in touch with a new starter who was on his way home from work. He said he didn't even have a starter pistol. I did. He agreed to come. He got there at about 5:30pm, in a suit and tie. He had never started a meet and had just got his license. I told him I would help him. The meet went off wonderfully. Most people had no idea about my terror!

As a Christian, I should be the same way. I should do everything possible to keep from sin. I should be so worried about the example. I, like David, should be worried about being put to shame. Instead, we take sin so lightly. We are quick to ask forgiveness and not so quick to work at preventing the sin in our lives. We certainly can't do it on our own. We need "check lists" (the Bible) to help us stay on the path. We need constant communication with our creator in order to fight the battle in our hearts. The great news.......God still loves us. He is pained by our sin, but he doesn't give up on us even when we make mistakes.

Thanks God for your patience and your grace. Amen!

No comments: