Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Who's welcome

“As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at his tax collector’s booth. “Follow me and be my disciple,” Jesus said to him. So Matthew got up and followed him. Later, Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. But when the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with such scum? ” When Jesus heard this, he said, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do.” Then he added, “Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: ‘I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.’ For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.”” ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭9:9-13‬ ‭NLT‬‬. http://bible.com/116/mat.9.9-13.

Would I be welcome in your church?

I went to a different church on a Sunday. It was nice. The pastor had a well prepared sermon, the choir was good, we had communion and I felt welcome. But, I was dressed like them, I looked like them and I fit the mold of the average attender. I wonder what would have happened if I would have worn my biker clothes, my leather, my jacket, my chaps, a doo-rag, and had a couple of tattoos. Most churches, at the very least would do a double take. I know this to be true. I have gone visiting with other churches and I have been REALLY looked over, inspected, when I entered a church. It's a little disconcerting. If they look close enough they will see my "Jesus number 1" or my "Prayer Warrior"  patches. They might see my CMA patch with the cross and the Bible. They would think I'm a little strange but they would support me if they noticed those proclamations.  What if I were a 1%er, had offensive tattoos, or nothing outwardly that represented Jesus?  Would I still be welcome?

Our churches need to not only open their doors to bikers, they should deliberately go out and look for the lost to invite them in. We just don't do a good job inviting those that don't fit our regular "mold". How can we reach the lost unless we go out and seek them. We spend so much time sitting in a church pew or serving the church. We may never go out and serve the "sick". We need to Go! Get out of your church, get out of your comfort zone. Save the lost.

No comments: