Sunday, June 12, 2016

Credibility

“You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others.”
2 Timothy 2:2 NLT. http://bible.com/116/2ti.2.2.nlt

I have been teaching for over 20 years. I have found one of the most effective teaching tools is credibility.  I still make mistakes even on some off the simplest of math problems. My credibility is not just connected to how accurately I can answer math problems. My credibility with kids is more about my own attitude toward teaching them. Do I genuinely care about them? Will I help them with undying patience and compassion? If I can't show my students I really care, if I can't show them strength in character, I will not have any credibility.

 I want my students to learn about life, not just math. Just like my math skills, it is important for me to be a credible teacher if I'm going to try yo teach about life, especially life with Christ. Credibility comes when people watch you and your faith matches your life. Faith is not about what I say, it's about what I do. Just like working math problems, I make mistakes.  How I deal with those mistakes, develops my credibility. I could blame my math mistakes on others or outside distractions, or I could just admit my humanness and admit I messed up. I could give up on students that struggle with a topic or with math in general. But, if students see I won't give up on them, ever, I have taught them more about life than about math. 

As a Christian, I need to develop real credibility. I need to expose my own sins, not try to cover them up and look perfect. I need to be patient and have a never give up attitude. I need the lost to know my love for them will never stop. It's not based on what they do, it's based on who they are. The love I have, needs to be the same love God has always shown me. It's forever!

Dear Lord, help me live a credible life, a life that makes you proud. Help me deal with my failures with honesty and openness. Help me to be compassionate and caring lost and share your love in tangible ways. I am your servant, Lord, use me! Amen!

No comments: