Thursday, June 9, 2016

Not popular -- RESPECT

“Never speak harshly to an older man, but appeal to him respectfully as you would to your own father. Talk to younger men as you would to your own brothers. Treat older women as you would your mother, and treat younger women with all purity as you would your own sisters.”
1 Timothy 5:1-2 NLT. http://bible.com/116/1ti.5.1-2.nlt

I get to spend a lot of time with young people. One thing I find a bit disconcerting is how they talk to and talk about their parents. The disrespect is appalling. Now, I'm not saying this is true of all students. I would say it's not even the majority. But the numbers keep increasing. They speak disrespectfully to their parents and they treat others the same way. I've seen coaches, teachers, and administrators shown so much disrespect. Again, it's just a small number of kids. I truly fear our society is not endorsing these verses in Timothy.

My life as a Christian is so important. It's so important that I set the proper example, that I am a role model for young people. I need to make sure I don't endorse disrespectful talk. I need to make sure I go above and beyond by honoring others with my words. I can't speak poorly about my parents, my brothers and sisters, my colleagues, or my students. If I don't have anything good to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.

Dear Lord, forgive me for my poorly chosen words. Help me to honor others with every part of my life including the words I speak. I know people are watching me and listening to me to find out if my words match my faith. I need your help, Lord, to honor you with my talk. I love you. I praise you and want nothing more this to serve you. Amen!


No comments: