Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I want to make you strong.

I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— (Romans 1:11 NIV)

I love the thought of this verse and the character of Paul displayed by its message. I remember my coaching days of years past and realize this was always my goal. I wanted to impart some wisdom, truth, or some plan that would make them stronger, better runners. Withholding those words of wisdom or special training would seem ludicrous from a coach. As a Christians it's even more bizarre.

The message of this verse is simply "we all have our gifts, granted by God our father, to be given to others." We are to share those gifts that others may grow strong in their faith and love in Jesus Christ. This sharing of our gift is the greatest form of service we could perform.

The spiritual gifts are described in many ways. Here is a list from Romans: 
  • Prophecy
  • Serving
  • Teaching
  • Exhortation
  • Giving
  • Leadership
  • Mercy
    So when we demonstrate these spiritual gifts we hope to do so for the purpose of making others strong. At times I think I have the gift of serving, teaching, exhortation, giving, and leadership. I have never felt gifted with the amazing gifts of prophecy, or mercy. How many times do I use my gifts to the greatest potential. Do I really help build people up, make them stronger? I know I need to work on this and intentionally work to make others stronger!

    No comments: