Tuesday, August 26, 2014

God knows why and I'm okay with that!

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1 NIV)

A group of men is playing a game of poker in a restaurant back room. As one man looks at his cards, he knows he has an unbeatable hand and will be a rich man when he lays down those cards and wins the huge pot in the center of the table. Unknown to that man, however, a fighter pilot in training has just ejected from his plane, and the plane is hurtling toward that restaurant. The man will not even get to play the hand. (Copied from 21 day extract of the Once-A-Day Devotional for Men for everyday inspiration, Zondervan Publisher)

We have this wonderful illusion we are in control of everything around us. Nonbelievers and believers act the same. We make plans, we schedule, and we fill our lives with stuff. But, we are guided by the one who created it all. Yes, he has given us free will. He let's us dig our own graves. He let's us cause our own stress, but the master plan is his alone. It's been that way from the beginning and it will be that way until the end. 

This summer I laid the best vacation plans of all time. I spent countless hours this winter, baracaded inside my house, preparing this wonderful trip. We left on a beautiful summer day filled with great expectation. God had different plans, the trip lasted about 36 hours. Stephanie fractured her elbow. The vacation never happened. God knows why and I'm ok with that! I don't need to know because I knew when I turned my life over to him, he didn't owe me explanations. He didn't have to reveal his plans to me. All I had to do was trust him and I do! Like most Christians I have asked God "Why?" But the older I get, the more I have seen how his plan truly leads to better things. I'm less likely, now, to ask why. He knows and that's good enough for me.

Praise God for his wonderful plan for my life. I renew my trust in him and turn all my plans over to him. He is the creator of the universe, he knows best, and I will not question or doubt his love for me. I will not question my path, but enjoy every moment that I get to be apart of his marvelous plan.

No comments: